So is there still going to be an API to plug into the tomcat internals and do
things that the servlet API does not support?

-----Original Message-----
From: Cyrille Le Clerc [mailto:clecl...@xebia.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:06 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Valves being converted to Filters?

   Hello Henri,

   I was referring to public information such as :
- Google Summer Of Code 2009, project "Convert current Tomcat valves
to Servlet Filters" : http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/SummerOfCode2009
and the various associated emails on Tomcat dev mailing list.
- Mark Thomas post on Tomcat users mailing list : "...47330 is on the
todo list but my current plan is to implement it as a Filter rather
than a valve. " (1)

   However, my understanding is not that pluggable 'interceptors' will
be removed from the container, just that the Valve API will be
replaced with a Filter API. I feel interfaces (HttpServletRequest &
HttpServletResponse) will be much more easy to manipulate than the
current implementations (Request, Response).

   Hopr this clarifies my message,

   Cyrille