From: Cyrille Le Clerc [mailto:clecl...@xebia.fr]
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 1:04 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Cannot set remote address in valve (Tomcat 5.5)

   Hello Elli,

   I am afraid there may be a flaw in the algorythm looking for the
first IP  of the coma delimited x-forwarded-for header without
ensuring that this first IP has been set by a trusted proxy and not by
the requester ( getFirstIP(xforwardedForHeaderValue) ). Such spoofing
can easily be achieved with tools like Firefox add-ons Modify Headers
(1) and X-Forwarded-For Spoofer (2) .

   The forthcoming version of Apache Httpd will offer a secure
mechanism to handle X-Forwarded-For with a module called mod_remoteip
(3). It relies on the concept of trusted proxies which IP address can
be 'swallowed'. The first IP of the list that is not a trusted proxy
is seen as the real remote ip. mod_remoteip would not have been
tricked by such x-forwarded-for header spoofing.

   Here are two java ports of mod_remoteip to handle X-Forwarded-For
at the Tomcat level with a valve and at the WAR level with a servlet
filter : RemoteIpValve (4) and XForwardedFilter (5). In addition to
handle X-Forwarded-For, they also integrate X-Forwarded-Proto (ssl).
These java ports integrate the same trusted proxies concept to prevent
spoofing.

   Cyrille
--
Cyrille Le Clerc