On 26.10.2009 23:40, Mohit Anchlia wrote:
> I read about timeouts but I still have following questions:
>
> 1. From 1.2.28 onwards, if I don't set the ping_mode then the request
> will still be sent to the BE node from workers.list even if that node
> is down?

Forwarding http requests to a node or not is not directly related to
pind_mode. Requests are forwarded to nodes, that are not in error state
as long as session stickyness allows to use the node.

If by request you mean a CPing, then: by default all pings are disabled.
You can enable using either ping_mode or (for compatibility reasons) the
old style connect_timeout and prepost_timeout.

>From the point of view of mod_jk a node is not down, but either in error
state or not. If it is in error state no communication is sent, but
after a minute it is put in probe mode, which means it will get a single
rquest to find out, whether it is again ok or not. In the latter case it
is put in error mode again.

> 2. Does socket_timeout mean how long the socket connection will be
> kept open? So it actually is like a session timeout?

socket_timeout is a difficult beast and I generally do not recommend
using it. mod_jk uses it in some special situations in order to be able
to abort waiting for data. It is not directly "how long a socket will e
kept open". How long a socket is kept open depends on how the swocket
gets used.

Usually you can get away pretty good using CPing and ping_timeout,
socket_connect_timeout, eventually reply_timeout with max_reply_timeouts.

> 3. In 1.2.28 is there a way to dynamically tell mod_jk to stop sending
> new requests to one of the nodes instead of stopping the worker
> itself?

Stopping the worker in the sense of setting activation to stop is *the*
right way of telling mod_jk to not sending any more requests to the
worker. If you only want to disable starting new sessions you use
activation set to disable.

Regards,

Rainer