-----Original Message-----
From: more...@privasphere.com [mailto:more...@privasphere.com] On Behalf Of
Luciana Moreira Sa de Souza Signed by - PrivaSphere AG
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:25 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Cc: Ralf Hauser
Subject: How to set up tomcat and truststore

Hello,

In the platform I am currently working on, we have to set up tomcat to require
client certificate authentication. The main difference from the standard
settings as described in
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssl-howto.html) is that we wish to
accept any client certificates, including self-signed ones.

The main reason for that is that we perform a second verification on the
application layer as our truststore is dynamic.

We have a JAASRealm class extension which basically extends the
hasResourcePermission method setting it to always return true. Bellow you can
see the configuration we added to the server.xml <Realm
className="com.privasphere.privalope.security.auth.ClientCertInAppRealm"
debug="99"/>

Nevertheless, I believe this method is only called after the initial handshake
and after the client certificate has been accepted or refused (this is a
guess). In addition, I am not entirely sure of what I should put in the
"truststoreFile" property.  As we want to accept all certificates this file
would probably be empty.

Any suggestions or best practices for this problem?

Best regards,
Luciana Moreira