Richard Sayre wrote:
I usually install Tomcat as a Service under windows which causes all
Tomcat output to go to stdout.log.  I am in a situation where I can
not do this.  I have to start Tomcat from the command line.  When I do
all of Tomcats output is logged to the console.  How do I manually
configure Tomcat so the output gets logged to a file?

I tried the instructions under the log4j section here
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html

When I restarted Tomcat no new log file was created.  The output
stilled logged to the console window.

I couldn't find any other documentation on how to do this in Tomcat 6.

Can some one point me to some documentation on how to set up this type
of logging?

startup.bat > outputfile

?