On 12/23/2009 11:42 AM, John Tangney wrote:
Thanks for your response, Filip!

On Dec 23, 2009, at 6:05 AM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

sorry, ignore previous post,

Yeah, I had the same reaction to 224.0.0.0 but it works when one Tomcat is running, so I assumed it's OK.

it's failing on this operation:

socket.setInterface(mcastBindAddress);

There is a small chance that Window's doesn't allow multicast sockets to be bound to an IP
try removing the "bind" attribute

No, that can't be it
did you try it?
, because when I run just one tomcat on that windows machine (with the bind – without it Tomcat will bind to the wrong NIC which is itself a problem) everything works just fine. It's only when I run two tomcats at the same time with the same <Membership ...>

Could it be that Windows (or some layer in between) is holding a socket open? Is that what "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket" means?

Thanks!
--johnt