> From: Anurag Kapur [mailto:anuragka...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat HTTP Connector Threads Hung
>
> 1. What does the connectionTimeout attribute in the tomcat http
> connector do?

Exactly what the documentation says:

"The number of milliseconds this Connector will wait, after accepting a
connection, for the request URI line to be presented."

> Does it not terminate the thread if it is still processing the
> request once the timeout expires?

No - it is the *connectionTimeout*; if the client doesn't deliver the URI in
that time period, the connection will be dropped.  If the client does deliver
the URI, the servicing thread is off and running.

> 2. Can some other configuration be added that forces the http connector
> thread to terminate after a certain time interval has elapsed?

No - that's up to the logic of your webapp.

> I know I should investigate why the http connector thread does
> not return a response even in as long as 300s

Yes, you should.  Start with a thread dump and find out why your webapp is
sitting still.

> shouldn't there be a settings in tomcat that prevents such application
> bugs from exhausting all tomcat connector threads?

No - there is no mechanism in Java to stop an arbitrary thread without the
consent of that thread.  There's nothing in the servlet spec that provides for
such a mechanism, so there's nothing Tomcat can do.  If a thread of your webapp
is off contemplating its navel, it's up to your webapp to police that behavior.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.