I feel his pain. We're still on IE6. : (

But yes, like Andre says, go to Tools | Options or Internet Options | Advanced
and uncheck the ""Show friendly HTTP error messages" box.

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Question about SSL

Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX wrote:
> https://localhost:8443
>
> Using IE6, I get a message saying you are about to view a page over a secure
> connection, but the page never loads.  No errors in the logs.  The ROOT
> webapp is still there, no lock icon in the browser.
>
> IE6 status bar just says: "Opening page https://localhost:8443/...";
>
> And eventually, IE6 responds with "The page cannot be displayed".

Maybe you should read this :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/maggieshiels/2010/02/last_rites_for_microsofts_most.html
(and I totally agree with the author, that its demise will be feted by
developers worldwide)

More seriously : IE6 has (had ?) this feature called "friendly error messages"
which basically hides what the server is really saying, and displays an
internal and useless error page instead, always the same.
You can turn it off, somewhere in the preferences.

Better : there exists an IE add-on, called Fiddler2, which does about the same
as similar add-ons for Firefox like HttpFox e.g.
It allows you to /really/ see what the browser is sending, and what it receives
from the server.

Better yet : use Firefox with the HttpFox add-on.

And the ultimate, but not for the faint-hearted : you can use a program like
Wireshark to grab and memorise and see absolutely every TCP/IP packet
circulating on the wire, even the ones you never wanted to know about.

All of that does not solve your problem, but at least it should give you an
idea of what is really going on.