On 08/03/2010 11:59, nitingupta183 wrote:

Hi All,

I am working on a web application in which there is a shoppping cart element
as well. I have divided the applications into 2. One is my main app (lets
call it main)&  the other is the shopping cart app (lets call it shop).

I intend to deploy both these apps in Tomcat (as individual WAR files). I
have got following questions wrt this deployment option:

1) I need to maintain a common header and footer on my app pages (which will
show the links of the resources of both these apps).

How can I achieve this without duplicating the code? Is there some kind of
shared code block which can be used when either app renders the response? If
yes, then I can simply make use of it.

You can achieve that by using an 'include'.
Yes, an include is a shared code block.
Yes you can simple make use of it.

I strongly recommend that you read the Servlet Spec (GIYF) and either get a book on JSPs or find some (relatively up-to-date) tutorials online.

Tomcat comes with some example applications and source code, you should examine each one of those before proceeding.

Can the above achieved with the help of Apache web server? I will have it in
front of my tomcat instance.

2) I need to maintain the security context between these two applications. I
have been adviced to make use of single sign on feature. I am using Spring
Security framework. I am exploring SSO with Spring security. If the group
has some tried and tested ideas on this, then please share.

rgds
Nitin