Hi.

To the Tomcat developers :

In reference to the thread : Installation differences between 6.0.24 and 5.5.28

It seems to me that one reason for David's confusion may be the lack of a clear indication in the documentation, of which subdirectories of a Tomcat installation are relative to CATALINA_HOME as opposed to relative to CATALINA_BASE.

When both are the same, then of course one knows where the subdirs "bin", "conf", "webapps", "lib" etc belong. But if one decides to make CATALINA_BASE different from CATALINA_HOME (e.g. to run multiple Tomcat instances off the same executables), then it is not so clear to the uninitiated, which subdirectories belong under each.

I can kind of guess for myself, but I do not have enough knowledge to provide a short and accurate description for each subdirectory, indicating why it should be here rather than there.

Maybe it is somewhere in the docs, but I have not found it yet.