Mine (notification) tells me in the logs when this occurs.

-----Original Message-----
From: Godmar Back [mailto:god...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:48 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Q: how to obtain notification when a WebApp is unloaded/reloaded?

Following up on an earlier conversation about how to obtain notification when a
WebApp is unloaded/reloaded [1], I was told that registering a
ServletContextListener is the only possibility (that is, there is no runtime
API.)

However, registering a ServletContextListener doesn't work and leads to me
being unable to start the web application.

To recap: I have an application with context reloadable=true. I continuously
recompile this application during development. The application starts a worker
thread I need to shut down when a newly compiled version of the application is
loaded (that is, when new versions of the .class files show up in the
WEB-INF/classes directory.

Right now, I'm getting messages that the listener class is missing (it isn't
- it's just a new .class file after recompilation.)

Apr 22, 2010 10:31:25 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
modified
SEVERE:     Resource
'/WEB-INF/classes/org/libx/editionbuilder/GCHelper$ShutdownListener.class'
is missing
Apr 22, 2010 10:31:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext reload
INFO: Reloading this Context has started Apr 22, 2010 10:31:25 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Apr 22, 2010 10:31:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/gbed] startup failed due to previous errors

My web.xml contains:
    <listener>

<listener-class>org.libx.editionbuilder.GCHelper$ShutdownListener</listener-class>
    </listener>

So - what is the correct way to register a listener that is executed when an
application is reloaded due to a recompilation?

Does Tomcat get confused when the listener class itself is part of the
to-be-reloaded web application?

Thanks.

 - Godmar

[1] See