I posted this before I saw Chuck's answers.
I defer to him on most things, particularly the answer for Q5.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Janner [mailto:jeffrey.jan...@polydyne.com]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 2:50 PM
To: Tomcat Users List; Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Re : Re : Re : Tomcat 5.5.29 does not accept connections from
outside

André -
Almost have it right.  As I understand IPv6, yes there is supposed to be some
mapping of IPv4 to IPv6 available, if you've got all the right stuff.  I don't
know enough about it to say when/where/how that takes place.
However, Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, give us two protocol stacks, each
configurable separately.  As of Server 2008 (and Window 7 & Vista), you are
given both, and you can't remove either one.
What I reported is what you actually see under a Windows Server 2008
installation.
It definitely looks to me to the Tomcat and/or APR layer that's the culprit,
not anything further down the list.  But I'm a layman, not one of the Tomcat
clergy, so I can't say for sure. The actual breakdown of things is as follows:

1) If not using native libraries/APR, then Tomcat listens on both IPv4 an IPv6
for a specific <Connector>.
2) If using native libraries/APR, then Tomcat only listens on IPv6 unless you
explicitly set up an IPv4 address parameter in the <Connector>. If there is no
IPv6 stack, then it will use IPv4 - but you can't uninstall IPv6 on a modern MS
OS.  You can disable it (uncheck it), but the system still has the stack
loaded, and Tomcat still configures for IPv6.
3) The SHUTDOWN/Server connector enforces 127.0.0.1, which might be a problem
if anyone sets up an IPv6-only configuration.  Couldn't swear to that, since I
have no intention of running IPv6-only anytime soon.
4) Review my netstat entries and you'll see that the AJP entry acts like any
other connector according to 1) & 2) above.
5) No way to force one or the other that I've found.

Jeff