2010/5/17 Richard Sayre <richardsa...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Lately in my production environment I am getting "URL is unavailable"
> in my browser when I try to hit the site.
>
> I found the following in the catalina.log file:
>
> SEVERE: Protocol handler pause failed
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
>        (...)
>        at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
>        at
> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.unLockSocket(ChannelSocket.java:486)
>        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.pause(ChannelSocket.java:283)
>        at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.pause(JkMain.java:681)
>        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.pause(JkCoyoteHandler.java:153)

IIRC, the above unLock call is just a tool to speedup the shutdown
process. Even if it fails, it is not a big concern.

> I am using Tomcat 6.0.14.
> Any suggestions?

Plan for upgrade, to 6.0.26 or to 6.0.27 when it comes out.

6.0.14 is several years old and IIRC there were some changes to the
shutdown process, that might affect the above issue.

> I forgot to mention java 1.6.0_18
> Windows Server 2003

Thank you for following up to provide the above details. It is appreciated.

The unlock call establishes a connection to the port where connector
listens for the incoming connections. That will unlock the thread that
waits for them on the socket, allowing it to shutdown immediately.

It would be a concern if external connections to Tomcat fail. (But if
they do, it would be one of the reasons to restart Tomcat).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko