On 17.05.2010 17:14, Juergen Weber wrote:

Hi, this seems to be a FAQ, but I could not find a solution for Tomcat 6:

We want to keep property files out of war files. Where should we put the
property files to access them from the web app via
Class.getResourceAsStream() ?
For JBoss one would simply drop them into the server conf folder, for
Geronimo one would use the SharedLib gbean.

But for Tomcat? Add a server.loader path to catalina.properties ?

If you want to keep them webapp-private, you might be interested in

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/org/apache/catalina/loader/VirtualWebappLoader.html

Although the page states "This is not meant to be used for production. Its meant to ease development with IDE's without the need for fully republishing jars in WEB-INF/lib" it seems to work very well.

The documentation page for Tomcat 7 will contain examples. At the moment they are only in subversion in xml format:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/config/loader.xml?view=markup

but the API doc also contains an example.

The documentation addition and the new flag "searchVirtualFirst" might eventually be backported to Tomcat 6 (I already proposed that). We discuss about merging the feature into the Tomcat 7 standard webapp loader. For TC 6 it will remain separate.

Regards,

Rainer