On Jun 19, 2010, at 18:31, "André Warnier" <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> As Mark writes above (and my interpretation of things) :
> - a bigger Heap means that the JVM will be able to accumulate more
> dead stuff in it,
> - when it is needed however, it will take much longer, because there
> is more stuff to clean up.

I thought we had taught you better than that...

The time it takes to perform a GC is *not* dependent on the number or
size of dead objects, just on the live ones.

Having a borderline heap size can, in the worst case, result in almost
continual GC activity, if there is only room to allocate a minimal
number of objects between GC occurrences.

  - Chuck

(Sent from my iPhone on a ferry in the middle of Lake Michigan.)