There are two ways to add SSL support to Tomcat

a) Pure java support
b) Using OpenSSL through the APR library

For (b) you need to compile (or use a distribution with) the Tomcat
Native Library.

Configuring SSL using (a) is different than when using (b).

You may now if your server is running the APR by looking at the logs,
at startup you may find a line similar to:

INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path:

After you have determined if you have the APR, look at how to configure SSL at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/ssl-howto.html

-Jorge