Comments at end.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Subject: Re: Configure read/write-access in TomCat

Would you gurus mind pointing out where exactly ?

Not sure what you want pointed out.

I am looking at the online documentation of Tomcat 7, at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/index.html,
and not finding it.

What is "it"?

I am also having trouble finding it in the Servlet Specifications v 3.0
(I mean specifically where it says that the "default" web.xml is being
merged with the application-specific web.xml.)

That won't be in the spec - it's a characteristic of Tomcat.  Other containers
operate differently.

If you refer to the content itself of the conf/web.xml file

That's what Pid was talking about.

here is all it has to say :

This document defines default values for *all* web applications
loaded into this instance of Tomcat.  As each application is
deployed, this file is processed, followed by the
"/WEB-INF/web.xml" deployment descriptor from your own
applications.

That's the key information.

For example, it does not clearly speak of merging, nor in case
of merge which possibly overlapping or conflicting directive has
precedence (one wopuld presume the webapp, but then presumptions are sometimes misleading).

Yes, the settings in the webapp's WEB-INF/web.xml override those in the global.
 I can't find any explicit statement to that effect either, but that is how it
works.

Ok, can I then summarise this by now slightly but not quite off-topic series of messages by saying that, contrary to what some previous answers would imply, the process by which Tomcat, for each deplayed webapp, first reads and "processes" the conf/web.xml, then reads and "processes" the applications WEB-INF/web.xml, and then "merges" both according to some internal logic, is specific to Tomcat, and is NOT very well documented at present in the on-line documentation ?

> Do you know anyone who actually likes to write documentation?

Well actually I do.
But it this case, I have a number of impediments :
- I do not know enough of Tomcat and even Java to write something coherent and
correct
- I find the process of contributing Tomcat documentation changes rather overwhelming, technically speaking.
(Which I guess explains also why not many other people feel like correcting the
docs.)

But let's suppose that I would try to write a summary of this process. Where would it fit in the documentation ? And whereabout would I find the original Tomcat code which does this, on the off-chance I might actually understand it enough to write something not totally wrong ?

Or, might the process better be described as :

As Tomcat deploys each web application, it first installs the default servlet and its associated web.xml descriptor CATALINA_BASE/conf/web.xml for this web application, then it overrides this setup by any servlets and descriptor (application/WEB-INF/web.xml) provided by the application itself (if any). In case of overlapping or conflicting settings, the web application specific settings have precedence.