2010/8/12 Thomas Treitlinger <ttreitlin...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I have a number of JSP pages which use the JSTL core library to set a
> request attribute like this:
> <c:set var="foo" scope="request" >FOO-VALUE</c:set>
>
> The JSPs then forward to a Servlet like this:
> <jsp:forward page="/request.go" />
>
> The Servlet later invokes
> String s = (String) request.getAttribute("foo")

Maybe somebody calls your page directly?  The usual solution to avoid
that is to move the page into WEB-INF directory.  You can <jsp:forward
page="/WEB-INF/_jsp/request.go" />, but nobody can call it directly.

Also there is one more possible catch: if 'c:' prefix is not
associated with a taglib,  <c:set will be rendered as text, without
invoking the tag library.   Maybe the jsp or other file was corrupted
somehow?

> The application was running in Tomcat 5.5.23 (Linux/Slackware)

I wonder if you can upgrade to a later version. I usually mention this page:
http://tomcat.apache.org/security-5.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko