:)  I got a good laugh out of your response Christopher and I
appreciate you taking the time to guide a possibly astray developer
but let me hopefully put your mind somewhat at ease in regards to our
development practices/environment.  Not claiming we have anything
resembling a perfect process either.  We have a separate department
that is more marketing/static content than it is anything, they'll put
their own stuff up on the website that for the most part is not under
revision control, but backed up and they each have their own local
copies, heavy dreamweaver users and we'll give them tag libraries to
use for some dynamic content here and there.  All our tag libraries,
main web workflows (ecommerce), search functionality, page templates
etc. are under revision control, we are happy subversion users after
escaping from starteam some time ago.  Our classes, web.xml, libs are
deployed in one war file for our main site, deployment configuration
*managed by JDeveloper project, I'm not proud of this but we are
migrating off of Oracle app server and I plan to take a look at
Eclipse for ide and change our project builds to use maven or ant.  We
have other traditional web apps whose content/config/classes/libs are
all traditionally packed up and deployed in a war.

As for my previous problem separating config/lib/classes from content.
 I ended up using a symlink on WEB-INF directory on ROOT context, I've
got app called foo, ROOT/WEB-INF is symlinked to FOO's WEB-INF
directory.  I can redeploy FOO and ROOT gets new config/classes/lib
via symlink and I don't have to worry about docBase of ROOT getting
undeployed.  Tried aliases context attribute in 7.0, just couldn't get
it to provide same separation symlink did, or I just wasn't using it
correctly.

Jason