Chris -
Thanks for adding some more well-thought-out reasoning to this discussion.
You've pointed out some issues that the rest of us had addressed, or even
thought about, and pointing out that real security is always about more than
just the simplified checkbox requirements that some security wonkos live by.
This "plaintext password" discussion happens on this list about once every
other month on this list in response to someone querying about it.  The
argument usually comes down to "if the hacker can read the config file, you've
already got bigger problems."
You've actually added some points that I've not seen before that deserve some
serious consideration. Kudos.
Jeff
p.s. top-posting because it's a commentary on all that follows.  You don't have
to read to the bottom to see my minor comments.

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to
the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your
system.