> From: Shanti Suresh [mailto:sha...@umich.edu]
> Subject: Re: tomcat http connector

> Tomcat's built-in HTTP connector can be used for production if
> your production traffic is light.  It is advisable to front-end
> Tomcat with Apache.

Sorry, that's just BS.  Back in the Tomcat 3 or 4 days, it was true to some
extent, but performance of Tomcat without httpd has been demonstrated to be
equal or better.

> Apache's I/O is superior to Tomcat.

Another incorrect statement; with Tomcat's APR connector, the I/O is identical
- since it's all the same code.  Regardless, as Pid pointed out, overall
performance is rarely limited by the connector; the application architecture is
the critical factor.

> front-ending Tomcat with Apache also gives you access to the
> powerful traffic filtering, security and other modules that
> are available for Apache.

And introduces configuration complexity and a greater opportunity to create
attack vectors due to seemingly innocuous configuration errors.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.