Uwe,

On 11/25/11 7:43 AM, uwe.hellm...@t-systems.com wrote:
> We have a Loadbalancer which roundrobin addresses 2 Apache 2.2.
> which passes their requests via mod_proxy balancer to 2 tomcat
> 5.5.26 servers which are configured identical and have also
> clustering enabled. The application is located only on the
> tomcats.

Are you using HTTP or AJP? From your description, it's probably HTTP
but it's worth asking.

Are you able to test/reproduce without the lb or a second Tomcat in
the mix? I'm sure this is a rare occurrence, so reproducing might not
be easy. If you have a test bed environment that is identical to
production (you do have one, right?), can you load it down and observe
intermittent failures like this? If so, try hitting a single Tomcat
directly and see if the problem disappears.

> So what we have is a redirected response from a failed login
> process. As example we have an login mask and while tryinig to
> login we put the username "Tester" in the username inputfield send
> the form away and get a login error message and the following URL
> string: http://mytestsystem/login.action?login_error=1&u=Tester In
> the input field the value Tester is still set.
>
> This result is as expected, but from time to time we saw the
> following URL string returned
> http://mytestsystem/login.action?login_error=1&u=OtherUser although
> we sent the form with Tester as value away. But now in the input
> field it is also OtherUser set.

Have you reviewed the code in your test? Sometimes the tests are
flawed. :(

> We have checked Loadbalancer rewrites(possible Proxywrites) and
> fount nothing. The behaviour seem to appear if we have much load on
> these systems. Does anybody have any idea where I should start my
> investigation. I would assume the application does have a problem
> with session handling or a corruptable redirection method but the
> developer told us everything is fine.

Of course the developer told you that the software is bulletproof. :)

Can you post your <Connector> elements from your server.xml (minus
anything that might be considered sensitive, of course), and let us
know if you are using APR (aka "native") with Tomcat.