----- Original Message -----
> My db connections seem to be lost after an extended period of
> inactivity

There could be a number of reasons that this occurs.  Perhaps a network issue
is causing them to be disconnected or the database may be timing them out.  At
any rate, it's not likely that the problem would be caused by the
"removeAbandoned" / "abandonedTimeout" settings, unless you application is not
properly returning connections to the connection pool.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html#Preventing_database_connection_pool_leaks

> (for a web application).  And the only way to get the connections to
> work
> again is to restart tomcat.
>
> My tomcat.jdbc.pool.Datasource settings have:
>
>  <property name="maxActive" value="100"/>
>         <property name="maxIdle" value="30"/>
>         <property name="maxWait" value="1000"/>
>         <property name="defaultAutoCommit" value="true"/>
>         <property name="removeAbandoned" value="true"/>
>         <property name="removeAbandonedTimeout" value="60"/>

You probably want to add testOnBorrow="true" and "validationQuery=SELECT 1"
(or some other valid query for your DB).  See the following link for an
explanation of those properties.

  https://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html

This will cause your connections to be validated prior to their use by your
application.  Stale connections will be removed and replaced with new, working
connections.

> Is it the removedAbonded and abandonedTimeout?  Does it mean "after
> 60
> seconds, remove the connection from the pool?

No.  See either of the links I've referenced above for an explanation of these
settings.

> I guess what I need is a minActive setting then?

There's no "minActive" setting.  You have "minIdle", but I don't think that
would help here.

Dan