> and in extending classes you can easily do this:
>
>   protected void initialize() {
>
>               addToAnything(new AnyPanel("id"));
>       addToAnything(new AnyPanel2("id2"));
> }

So now you're proposing the Java code is defining the layout of
components? That's what the markup's job is I thought.

What I, and probably many others, like about wicket is that the Java
code is just a "slave" to the markup - not the other way around. The
graphic designers are free to control where everything goes in markup
and so long as I have implemented a Java class for each panel that they
want to use then everything just works. They can rearrange the whole
look and layout of the side without me touching my Java code.

Your solution is starting to look very much like the Echo2 solution -
where layout is controlled entirely in Java.

Also: Does your addToAnything method assume a regular, repeating pattern
- like panels in a column or row? What if the panels I want to
specialize in derived pages are not laid out in a grid or array
structure: eg., a sub header that spans the entire page width plus a
side menu on the left plus a body section in the middle - all separately
implemented at various levels in the page hierarchy but with the
structural HTML that lays them out specified in one place in the base
page?