From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Fardig, Paul S.
Sent: November 01, 2000 07:44
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:8917] RE: Hello! ..and a few Questions (no viruses)

Hello and welcome -

A couple of quick responses.  1) The US Metric Board was essentially
disbanded by Ronald Reagan when he refused to provide funding for it,
sometime back in the 80's.  2) Certain items/activities are controlled by
regulations, particularly relating to safety or consumer protection, i.e.
highway signs need to meet standards, which generally don't allow metric
yet; or many food products must be dual labeled to assure that the consumer
can make an educated choice comparing quantities, apparently.

Except for these limited exceptions, most everything else in this country is
market driven (except of course you can't call something a foot or a
kilogram, unless it meets the standards for a foot or kilogram, which are
legally defined).  I'm with a federal agency and we require all new
construction activities in metric units, pretty much exclusively.  You are
not forced to comply, per se, but if you want to do business with us, you
must do it our way.  Private companies equally can require suppliers to
provide goods or information in metric units.  On the other hand, you can't
require a potential supplier to do business with you.  But more and more
companies are moving to metric units, not only because it's easier but also
because we are more and more globally interconnected everyday and the rest
of the world is all metric.

Paul