This is probably why the gauge on the pump I describe is labeled both
"kg/cm2" and kPaX100. There's not a whole lot of difference between 98
kPa and 100 kPa -- especially considering that this is a cheap gauge! So
essentially it works out that the weight of 1 kg of matter sitting on 1
cm2 of surface area near the Earth's surface exerts ~ 100 kPa pressure.
I find the distinction rather transparent and I suspect that many people
in SI countries do too. But then Americans don't usually distinguish (on
the street) between pounds of mass and pounds of force.

The gauge on the "no name brand" pump in the Sam's Club emergency kit
was made in China and it also specified "kg/cm2" but it confused the
uppercase usage in "KpaX100". I wouldn't be surprised to find that the
same company (Chinese?) made both gauges.

Jim

--
Metric Methods(SM)           "Don't be late to metricate!"
James R. Frysinger, CAMS     http://www.metricmethods.com/