Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> Another reason is just that if your kbd does not have £ [libra] you
> have to use L. for it (yes, a point is allowed in this case) .

You don't have to do that at all, Leonardo. The PC's option to use Alt with
the numeric keypad allows you to enter any character that can be displayed.
(In fact, you can even enter non-displayable characters, as the ability to
display some of them is application-dependent, with Windows Notepad being
the least flexible in that respect.)

The flexibility is not even limited to that approach. As I always configure
my PCs for the U.S. International keyboard, I can enter many characters not
shown on the keyboard in a direct manner. For example, I get £ with
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-4. (Shift-4 is the $.)

Bill Potts, CMS
San Jose, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]