I think Paul is referring to a test we gave to our entire student body and
faculty in 1998. A summary is posted on the USMA site at
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/dykt.htm (scroll down to 1999 January).
Although ounces are not specifically mentioned in the summary, I looked up
the raw test results and found that 51% of students (grades 7 through 12)
and 20% of the faculty did NOT know that there are 16 ounces in an
(avoirdupois) pound. The middle schoolers did much better than the high
school students, presumably because such conversions are taught in middle
school math classes, but never used in school afterward. In high school,
measurement calculations are limited to science classes, which use SI almost
exclusively.