Actually, Baron, the guinea hasn't entirely disappeared. The term is still
used, sometimes, for £1.05.

I don't know if it's still legal to do so, but one way of raising a bid at
an auction was to respond to a previous bid (in pounds) with the single
word, "Guineas," thus bidding 5% more. (You  have to imagine the word being
said in a very upper crust voice. <g>)

Bill Potts, CMS
San Jose, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]