Far into my childhood, my parents reminded me to "pull the chain" in the
toilet. We had an ordinary flush tank at ground level, not up near the
ceiling with a chain hanging down as was before my time. So, The Man of
LaMancha will continue to sing "..still strove, with his last ounce of
courage, to reach the unreachable star".  "Ounce" could one day mean "a
small portion", without meaning a measurement. We kind of did this with
the word "decimate", which literally means to reduce to one-tenth of the
original quantity, but is first taken to mean some great reduction is
quantity, as in a decimation of troop strength in wartime.

--
Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
3609 Caldera Boulevard, Apt. 122

"No one from the Audubon Society has yet documented the
finding of a modified barium swallow."
                         --Byrd Ona Wyng, Forensic Ornithologist

"Free Billy Rubin!" ---Medical Technologists'  protest cry