John:

We can't have it both ways.

We want everyone to switch to SI. We're hardly going to achieve that by
worrying about obsolete terms that people aren't going to change anyway. Do
you have a suggested strategy for doing that? Do you honestly think it's
worth the effort?

Regarding the pilot's statement regarding visibility, why would you care
whether it's nautical miles or statute miles? If it's a big number, the
visibility's good. If it's very small, the visibility's bad. Seems simple
enough to me. I think, in fact, that people would rather hear it in terms of
"unlimited," "good, "fair," etc., regardless of the prevalent units of
measure.

Bill Potts, CMS (currently traveling in England)
San Jose, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]