Sounds simple enough, but it's not in the cards. We do take a
calculations quiz as part of our initial licensure exam, but there are
no mandatory continuing education requirements for an annual or even
period repeat of a pharmaceutical calculations exam. Some states require
pharmacists to take a continuing education program in pharmacy law as
part of their annual continuing education requirements for relicensure,
but I have never seen a mandate for a closed-book periodic
re-examination of calculations skills.

What had happened in the instance that I once mentioned here was that
the technician was mixing a chemotherapy product, which is done so
carefully that even a different unit of measurement causes a tiny bit of
confusion. She wanted to see 600 mg, not 0.6 g, on the label, and I had
labeled it just the way the doctor ordered it: 0.6 g. We customarily
label the product with the same name and the same units ordered by the
physician. I was a bit surprised that she could not accept 0.6 g as a
unit to work with.