Why wasn't the UK conversion to decimal currency in 1971 also considered
a European invasion of the British Isles? I say to my disgruntled
fellows in the Mother Country, bring back pounds, shillings, and pence
if you insist upon preserving the pint and the pound! Please be
consistent!

To hear these jingoistic arguments over metrology continuing into the
new century makes me all the angrier.

For myself, I don't want to make change in 12s and 20s, nor do I want to
compound prescriptions in scruples, drams, and apothecary ounces (and,
in fact, I've never done so in practice), nor do I want to see minim
scales on syringes or patients being weighed in dual units. The
signature line for me on this issue remains that, now, at the opening of
the twenty-first century of our Common Era, following one hundred years
of unbridled cultivation of science and technology, we, the children of
that technology, must adopt a global standard of measurement, and the
need for such a global standard transcends politics.

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
3609 Caldera Boulevard, Apt. 122
Midland TX 79707-2872 USA
(915)-694-6208