From: "Joseph B. Reid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, 2001-06-29 21:51
Subject: [USMA:14106] Decimal point or decimal comma?

Decimal notation was proposed by Juan of Seville in the 12th century.  He
would have written pi as 3-1416/10000 (I can't format this in Eudora).  In
1585 the Dutchman, Simon Stevin proposed 3(0)1(1)4(2)1(3)6(4).  This was
simplified by Frençois Viète of France to 3|1416, which in continental
European languages became 3,1416 (the comma is virgule in French, Komma in
German, coma in Spanish,
komma in Dutch and Swedish, còmma in Italian).  Albert Mettler's metric
survey of 1975 found that 24 counteries of continental Europe use the comma
as decimal marker.

In Britain John Napier of Edinburgh in 1617 decided to use the point or
period as his decimal marker, and it has spread throughout the
English-speaking world, as well as in several Asian countries.

Joseph B. Reid
17 Glebe Road West
Toronto    M5P 1C8                       Tel. 416 486-6071