In the US a bushel is 4 pecks and a peck is 8 dry quarts. Also, a US
bushel is 2150.42 in3 (~35.239 07 L) in contrast to the Imperial bushel
of 2219.36 in3. In the US the dry quart (~1.101 L) is larger than the
liquid quart (~0.946 L), whereas the Imperial quart (1.136 L) is the
same for both dry and liquid. So, neither of our quarts is an "imperial"
measure.

Having said all that, many commodities have specific bushels that are
actually defined in terms of weight (mass, actually). A bushel of oats
is neither the same volume nor the same mass as a bushel of soybeans. I
don't know if this is true of apples or not, but that information might
be available via USDA's web site or in one of the NCWM handbooks on my
shelf if you desparately need it.

Why don't I believe Smithsonian, et al., when they say Americans
understand this better than SI?

Jim

--
Metric Methods(SM)           "Don't be late to metricate!"
James R. Frysinger, CAMS     http://www.metricmethods.com/