Yes, it's true that non-SI measurements are still
used in many aspects in Canada.  But in other
cases it isn't.  It was refreshing to go to my
local supermarket and see items at the deli
counter priced solely per 100 g, AND to hear
people requesting items in grams.  Out of five
people, nobody non-SI measurements.  It's the
same at the butcher where I buy my meat.
They solely price in kg or g, and if you do
occasionally hear someone make a request
for a pound of this or that, it's usually an older
person.  But the majority of people use SI.

Other areas in Canada where SI prevails are:

weather reports
thermostats
gasoline sales
highway signs
cars
product labelling
water and gas meters (on new homes)
surveying (my property was advertised as 60'x100')
but my deed lists it as 18.3 m x 30.5 m.

Non-SI is still strong in:

real estate
height and weight of people
cooking
advertising of produce
furnishings (carpets, appliances, TV screen sizes)

I have written to my MP asking why the government
is not doing more to enforce the regulations.
If the FTAA (Free Trade Agreement of the Americas),
ever comes to pass, it is crucial that SI be listed as it's
defacto measurement standard.

Stephen Gallagher