Jim Frysinger noted on his metric background page,

"...Thus they became the de facto units of commonly
used measures and rapid adoption by the states in their laws and
regulations made them effectively the de jure standards...."

When the US Metric Board voted in 1979 to support the change of gasoline
pumps from gallons to liters to accommodate the pumps (most of them at
the time) that could not read a price of more than 99.9 cents per unit
volume, I thought we could do the above "de facto to de jure" thing all
over again

  I knew that state bureaus of weights and measures were involved here,
since I would always end up staring at the state seal on the pump as I
stood pumping at self-serve stations. So, I thought, if the US standard
of measurement was initially fixed passively through the state bureaus
beginning in 1836, then the metric system would be fixed as the US
standard in like manner in 1979. Moreover, the placement of the liter in
such a visible position in the national public eye (posted prices, word
of mouth), along with the liter-ization of soft drinks which began at
that time, would provide the essential spark of national inspiration,
and the rest of SI would be easier to enact.

But, of course, nothing changed, except the US Metric Board itself, the
operation of which was suspended by the Reagan Administration in the
early 1980s.

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
3609 Caldera Boulevard, Apt. 122
Midland TX 79707-2872 USA