I stumbled on a statement made by Noam Chomsky which was very interesting:

The quote below is translated from a Dutch magazine, so the wording of what
he stated will not be exact.
Talking about NAFTA: "Big companies are going to spell the law to
democratically elected governments. This is already happening. From within
the USA UPS sued the Canadian Government which wanted to subsidize the
Canadian postal services. UPS calls this unfair competition because under
NAFTA UPS is free to move on the Canadian market. This kind of treaty
impinges on the sovereignty of member nations. Power is more and more
concentrated in the hand of anonymous institutes. This is called the free
market, but in reality it is about dictates that reduce the freedom of
parliaments."

This makes me think about the unelected business quango, the TABD, and its
influence on the elected European Parliament, which, forgetting that it
should stand for the interests of European citizens who voted for them,
caved in on metric only and animal experimentation (torture of animals) for
the benefit of the cosmetics industry. Let's hope that the EU will from now
on oppose the TABD more and more and refuse to give in to its demands even
if it should entail a trade war. There seem to be signs that the EU is
getting fed up with the likes of the TABD which is good for the future..

Han