From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Barbara and/or Bill Hooper
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 13:29
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:15430] RE: letter in Irish Times

Scott contributed to the "rasher" discussion with:
> My hovercraft is full of eels!
>
> Originally I thought it (rasher) may have been Irish slang for "ration"

My dictionary gives two meanings for rasher: (1) a slice of bacon or ham,
etc.; or (2) a portion or serving of such slices.

I had been familiar with the word but had always thought it had something
like the second meaning. It seems more reasonable that the Irish newspaper
reference referred to the second meaning (portion) rather than the first
(single slice). It referred to pricing by the rasher. I can imagine pricing
something by the portion (even though that is an admittedly vague term), but
it seems more likely than pricing bacon by the slice.

But, what do I know? I don't understand what Scott meant by eels in his
hovercraft either!

Regards,
Bill Hooper

Keep It Simple!