See my post [USMA:16446] Re:Depressing...

Briefly, from my understanding,  IOC recognizes the International
Association of Athletics Federations as the governing body setting rules for
running events.  The IAAF rule book is on line at their website as a PDF
file http://www.iaaf.org/index.asp .  Here is an excerpt:

"SECTION VIII - ROAD RACES
RULE 240
Road Races
1. The standard distances for men and women shall be 15km, 20km,
Half-Marathon, 25km, 30km, Marathon (42.195km), 100km ....."

Scott C.