2002-01-06

I knew the binary symbols used capitals for the first letter, but I also
thought they were spelled out with capitals too.  I stand corrected.  I know
the "I" is always lower case.  The "MI" for mibi, instead of "Mi" had to do
with me not releasing the shift key fast enough and not checking the
spelling manually.

The ångstrom (alt-134 for the å) may not be deprecated, but telling people
so may get them to refrain from its use quicker.  You want to make them feel
out of step with reality.  Just telling them it is not encouraged only gives
them an excuse to continue its use and not move over to the nanometre.

It is good to see the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
starting to move on accepting the use of the "prefixes for binary
multiples".  Does this mean, if they accept the proposal, products such as
memory and floppies will be properly marked and described as such in the
market place?

Thus 128 MB of RAM will appear as 128 MiB.  But, what about floppies?  If I
remember correctly, isn't the kilobyte binary, but the megabyte is a
combination of binary and decimal?  Meaning the megabyte is the same as 1024
x 1000 B, instead of either 1000 x 1000 or 1024 x 1024?  If so, how will
this mess be straighten out?

I wonder if computer programmers will come up with patches that will allow
the operating system of your computers to display the proper bytes in the
proper prefixes.

John