Steve,

Despite how it might appear to you when you send it or even how it might
appear to you when you read it again, quoted below, I do not see the
euro symbol in your message on my screen. To transliterate, I get

        [plus sign]Kw[minus sign or hyphen]

        ........rather than like this:

        [question mark]

I have my Netscape browser set for viewing with the "Western
(ISO-8859-1)" character set.

The page source for your message says that you sent it in text/plain
using UTF-7. When I shift my browser from the default ISO-8859-1 to
UTF-7, then I see your message as you intended it to be seen, complete
with the proper euro symbol. But that's not my standard character set
for viewing and I suspect that I'm not alone in that. Would a note to
the reader at the top of the message advising a shift to UTF-7 be a good
idea?

My prediction is that reliably producing the euro symbol on all browsers
is a very, very long way off. The use of EUR might be the safer bet when
one wants to be certain to be understood.

Jim

Stephen Davis wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I have messed about with my fonts and finally seem to be having some success+ACEAIQ-
>
> I now use the ALT+-4 key combination and the euro mark comes out the way it is
>supposed to look, like this:
>
> +IKw-
>
> ........rather than like this:
>
> ?
>
> It seems that European computer keyboards must be set up slightly differently to
>American ones as I can use the ALT+-4 combination to get the euro symbol+ACEAIQ-
>
> I can also use (as suggested by some on the mailing list) the left-hand ALT key and
>entering 0128 on the numeric keypad (NOT the numbers on the top row)+ACEAIQ-
>
> It seems Unicode is the best way to send the +IKw- euro symbol without it appearing
>as a question mark or anything else+ACEAIQ-
>
> Either that or use (uh-oh) HTML format+ACEAIQ-
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve.
> stevo.davis+AEA-btinternet.com

Metric Methods(SM)           "Don't be late to metricate!"
James R. Frysinger, CAMS     http://www.metricmethods.com/
10 Captiva Row               e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Charleston, SC 29407         phone/FAX:  843.225.6789