Subject: California road exit numbering scheme
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:53:58 -0000
From: "Jeff Gross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "James R. Frysinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Jim,

I'm a member of the UKMA, and am also a Californian although I live in
London now. I read with interest a story on the Los Angeles Times
website
that Caltrans is planning on adding exit numbers to freeway offramps.
California is one of the few states that currently don't use this
system.

Since Caltrans is one of the state departments of transportation that
continues to use metric, I sent an e-mail to the head of the agency
(Jeff
Morales) suggesting that rather than using miles to calculate the exit
numbers, they use kilometres. I do know they are planning on using a
mile
based scheme rather than consecutive numbers.

I don't know anyone associated with the USMA except yourself, but I
thought
this might be an interesting opportunity for them. Below is a copy of
the
e-mail I sent. I just got it out tonight. Perhaps you can pass it on to
the
appropriate people at the USMA.

Thanks, Jeff Gross

----------

to: Jeff Morales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I read with interest in the LA Times of 1/16/02 that California highways
are
going to adopt the exit numbering system similar to that used in other
states.

Since Caltrans has wisely decided to continue to use the metric system
in
construction (despite the ISTEA derogation), why not use kilometers
rather
than miles to calculate the exit numbers?

I can see several advantages to this:

1. Less need for letter designators to follow the numbers (as 1 km is
shorter than 1 mile) - exits relatively close to each other are more
likely
to have a unique number.

2. Since state records need to be updated as a result of the change, the
change won't have to be done again when there is a comprehensive
conversion
to the metric system. Same with the signs!

3. Californians for the most part aren't familiar with exit numbering
schemes - an "exit 400" (km) would mean as much as an "exit 250" (mi).

Although there is no doubt a vocal minority of people opposed to the
metric
system (for no good reason really, especially as it is used as the
primary m
easuring system by every country except the US), I would wager that the
bulk
of Californians wouldn't mind. The answer to the trivia question "how
are
the exit numbers determined" would have an interesting answer, which
would
be (for now) unique to California.

Please consider this, as I bet it would also help today's Caltrans
workers
who already work using metric.

By the way, I miss the dual mi/km distance road signs on California
highways. I'd like to see them brought back.

Jeff Gross
Cardiff by the Sea