From: "Ma Be" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, 2002-02-07 11:14
Subject: [USMA:18013] Re: Q discussion

> Sorry, guys, that I surmised that Jim's approach to symbols would have
worked.  I was expecting that the micrometer would print fine, but it came
as '5m' instead.  Oh, well...  Alright... I'll compromise here and accept to
use 'um' from now on instead, so as to please most here...  :-(...........
:-)

> Marcus
>
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:58:16
>  Ma Be wrote:
> >My dearest friend, Han, please see my comments below.
> >
> >On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:46:29
> > Han Maenen wrote:
> >>I would not propose a decimal series of paper formats as there is none
and
> >>it would be impractical in this specific case. It is a fact that A paper
> >>sizes divide by progressive halving.
> >
> >You're right, in this particular case what's happening is a mathematical
reality.  If one wants to rationalize paper size there just is no way to
avoid the inverse of the square root of two "factor" (or the so-called
"golden factor") for that purpose.  However, the rationality has already
been developed into the system by defining that the start of the A series
sizes would be a neat 1 square meter!

> >But the above is a different kind of problem compared to the Q discussion
though.  One thing is to allow mathematical/algebraic rules, etc, *having
the SI as the backbone of presenting values*, define how products should be
developed and quite another to use a non-SI *size itself* for that purpose!
More on this below.

> >> I support the Q and A sizes.
> >>As for the Q: there is no proposal for any other non-decimal subdivion
at
> >>all.
> >
> >True, but please consider this, Han.  If one allows the use of an
"exception to the rule" one would be giving the enemy the ammunition they
need to shoot down the SI system as a whole as flawed by saying: Aha!
There's an application where one can simply not work with a decimal
framework!  Here SIists must recognize that the mm or 5m won't cut it!  I
hope you can see, Han, from a *principle*'s point-of-view that we cannot
allow such... "compromises".  Now, please understand that I'm discussing
*matters of principle* here!

> >I understand very well where you're coming from, and can sympathize with
your position well-stated below (between '*...*').  It's a reasonable one
indeed, so, please don't take me wrong on this, my dear friend.  But I'd
rather not give ANY room for ifpists to feed on!  We must be able to
counteract their arguments by showing that a "size" of 0.1 mm would address
the issue perfectly well and for once and for all (if they can demonstrate
unequivocally that mm or 5m wouldn't cut it)!  It then would be up to the
typographers' authorities to fix this mess by adopting it.  And here, I
wouldn't mind their using Q as a name for this (or another one, as using the
same name may create confusion), as opposed to making a request before BIPM
or CGPM for the creation of another prefix.

> >> Under the proposal those who need finer resolutions can go to 0.1 or
> >>any other decimal part of a  millimeter. See Markus Kuhn's website.
> >>And again, *if I see the trash the Q is to replace, then this infraction
of
> >>SI rules in a very specific field is a small price to pay*.
> >>However, CGPM should not officially sanction the Q, there it should
always
> >>remain '0.25 mm'.
> >
> >Excellent.  I must concur with you on this one.  Q must remain an
"industrial thing", if it comes to that.

> >>A possiblility is, stop calling it a Q, refer to a 0.25 mm resolution,
that
> >>will
> >>eliminate a unit or prefix name.
> >
> >And by doing the above values would refer directly to the mm, which would
be the "easier" solution.  Only problem is how can the software industry
accommodate values that would require potentially up to 6 characters to
represent!...  At least with the 0.1 mm "Q" that would drop to 4 characters
(they may not mind this extra character - they currently use 3, if I'm not
mistaken).