Sanity has prevailed yet again!!  Neil Herron and his motley crew have taken their
seriously-flawed arguments to the highest court in the land and have again been found
wanting!!

Surely now, to all intents and purposes, this argument is all but over!!  They have
been to court twice and twice they have been defeated!!

Their credibility has been shot to smithereens!!  I think they must realise that the
battle is lost!!  Oh, sure, we've had all the bluff and bluster about taking this case
to the house of Lords, but as Sunderland council are quite rightly pressing for costs
totalling £100'000, I think their capability of doing this must be severely
curtailed!!

True to form of course, the national media has given free reign to their ridiculous
utterings outside the court without even a hint of balance, They seem unwilling to
muddy the waters with mundane little things like facts!!

One so-called 'Metric Martyr was heard to state that he was going back to his shop and
selling in pounds and ounces, to which the answer could have been, "Being as you are
at liberty to anyway, of course you are, there's nothing in the law to stop you!!"

It is not an offence to SELL in pounds and ounces, only to WEIGH in pounds and
ounces!!

We keep hearing how this legislation has usurped British law as it was 'forced' upon
us, which begs the question, as we signed up to the 1972 ECA act of our own free will,
how has the legislation been forced upon us??  The 1994 amendments were passed as
secondary legislation with full Parliamentary scrutiny!!

If we wished to do away with metrication at that time, we could have done, there was
nothing to stop it; indeed, we could leave the EU at any time if we wished!!

They have said time and time again that the 1985 weights and measures act provided for
the use of both metric and imperial measures!!  Yes, but as they well knew, the
legislation provided for future change and that use of the pound and ounce for trade
was time-limited!!

It was said that this was a fight for freedom of choice, but as Mr Herron well knows,
nobody has EVER had that right!!  Weights and measures law states that pints of
draught beer can only  be sold by the pint and that on public roads, signs have to
read in miles and yards only!!

Indeed any measure deemed illegal for trade, metric OR imperial can result in
prosecution if the person is caught!!

Finally, what actual freedoms is Mr Thoburn losing regarding this legislation??

Is he losing the right to give his customer something in pound and ounces??

No!

Will his business lose money or his trade suffer, or will he have to close down ??

No again!

Are his customers allowed to ask for whatever they want, the same way as they have
always done??

Ditto!

In fact, apart from having to obey weights and measures legislation the way he has
always done, what freedoms is it they have actually realistically lost??

Beats me!!

Regards,

Steve.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]