2002-03-07

This is more of the same crap the BWMA has been pushing for years.  They reiterate it so much they actually believe it to be true.

First of all, the Greeks never had a mile unit.  The unit mile was first used in Roman times.  Rowlett (http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictM.html) defines the mile as such:  Note that historically, there never was a "standard mile".  All units with the name "mile", or a similar sounding name varied from time to time and location to location.

Also note the various forms used in Continental Europe and tell me if they are the same.  So, how can they say all these units were simply related?

mile (mi)
a traditional unit of distance. The word comes from the Latin word for 1000, mille, because originally a mile was the distance a Roman legion could march in 1000 paces (right foot, left foot -- that's one pace). There is some uncertainty about the length of the Roman mile. Based on the Roman foot of 29.6 centimeters and assuming a standard pace of 5 Roman feet, the Roman mile would have been 1480 meters (4856 feet); however, the measured distance between surviving milestones of Roman roads is often closer to 1520 meters or 5000 feet. In any case, miles of similar lengths were used throughout Western Europe. In medieval Britain, several mile units were used, including a mile of 5000 feet (1524 meters), the modern mile defined as 8 furlongs (1609 meters), and a longer mile similar to the French mille (1949 meters), plus the Scottish mile (1814 meters) and the Irish mile (2048 meters). In 1592 the British Parliament settled the question by defining the statute mile to be 8 furlongs, 80 chains, 320 rods, 1760 yards or 5280 feet. The statute mile is exactly 1609.344 meters. In athletics, races of 1500 or 1600 meters are often called metric miles. See also nautical mile.

meile
A traditional distance unit in German speaking countries, the meile is much longer than the mile units of western Europe. Typically the meile was equal to 4000 klafters (fathoms) or 24 000 fuss (German feet). In Austria this came to 7586 meters (4.714 miles); in northern Germany it was 4.6805 miles or 7532.5 meters. A version of the meile called the geographische meile was defined to equal exactly 4 (Admiralty) nautical miles (24 320 feet, 4.6061 miles, or 7412.7 meters). The geographische meile was designed to equal 1/15 degree [2] or 4/3 league.

milha
the traditional Portuguese mile, one of the "longest miles" of all at 2282.75 yards (1.297 statute miles or 2087.3 meters).

milla
the traditional Spanish mile, equal to 5000 pies (Spanish feet) or 8 estadios. This is about 1392 meters, 4567 feet, or 0.865 statute mile.

mille [1]
the traditional French mile, equal to 1000 toises. This is equal to about 6394.4 feet, 1.211 statute mile, or 1949 meters. In modern France, the mille sometimes means the nautical mile (mille marin), equal to exactly 1852 meters.

mil [4]
in Scandinavia, the mil, pronounced like "meal" in English, is a traditional distance unit considerably longer than Roman or English miles. In Denmark, the traditional mil was 24 000 Danish feet, which is 4.6805 miles or 7.5325 kilometers (this is the same as the north German meile; see above). The Danish mil has sometimes been interpreted as exactly 7.5 kilometers (4.6603 miles). In Sweden, the traditional mil was 36 000 Swedish feet, which is 6.641 miles or 10.687 kilometers. In Sweden and Norway the mil is now interpreted as a metric unit equal to exactly 10 kilometers (6.2137 miles).

miglio
the traditional Italian mile. The miglio equals 1628 yards, which is 0.925 English mile or about 1488.6 meters. This is 32 yards (29.3 meters) shorter than the classical Roman mile.

I can find no Greek mile.  However, the Greeks had a unit called Stade, and Rowlett defines it as such:

stade, stadion or stadium
a historic unit of distance originating in ancient Greece. Greek athletic fields were all of roughly the same size, and the stadion, as a unit of measure, represented the length of the field. Archaeological measurements show that the stadion was roughly 200 yards or a little less than 200 meters. The stadion at Olympus, where the original Olympic Games were held, measures 630.8 feet or 192.3 meters. Stadium is the Latin spelling; in the Roman world the stadium was equal to 625 Roman feet (pes) or 1/8 Roman mile. This is equivalent to 606.95 feet, 202.32 yards, or 185.00 meters. The plural is stadia.

Rowlett also gives some history on the development of the foot:

foot (ft or ')
a traditional unit of distance. Almost every culture has used the human foot as a unit of measurement. The natural foot (pes naturalis in Latin), an ancient unit based on the length of actual feet, is about 25 centimeters (9.8 inches). This unit was replaced in early civilizations of the Middle East by a longer foot, roughly 30 centimeters or the size of the modern unit, because this longer length was conveniently expressed in terms of other natural units:
1 foot = 3 hands = 4 palms = 12 inches (thumb widths) = 16 digits (finger widths)
This unit was used in both Greece and Rome; the Greek foot is estimated at 30.8 centimeters (12.1 inches) and the Roman foot at 29.6 centimeters (11.7 inches). In northern Europe, however, there was a competing unit known in Latin as the pes manualis or manual foot. This unit was equal to 2 shaftments, and it was measured "by hand," grasping a rod with both hands, thumbs extended and touching. The manual foot is estimated at 33.3 centimeters (13.1 inches).
In England, the Roman foot was replaced after the fall of Rome by the natural foot and the Saxon shaftment (16.5 centimeters). The modern foot (1/3 yard or about 30.5 centimeters) did not appear until after the Norman conquest of 1066. It may be an innovation of Henry I, who reigned from 1100 to 1135. Later in the 1100s a foot of modern length, the "foot of St. Paul's," was inscribed on the base of a column of St. Paul's Church in London, so that everyone could see the length of this new foot. From 1300, at least, to the present day there appears be little or no change in the length of the foot.
Late in the nineteenth century, after both Britain and the U.S. signed the Treaty of the Meter, the foot was officially defined in terms of the new metric standards. In the U.S., the Metric Act of 1866 defined the foot to equal exactly 1200/3937 meter, or about 30.480 060 96 centimeters. This unit, still used for geodetic surveying in the United States, is now called the survey foot. In 1959, the U.S. National Bureau of Standards redefined the foot to equal exactly 30.48 centimeters (about 0.999 998 survey foot). This definition was also adopted in Britain by the Weights and Measures Act of 1963, so the foot of 30.48 centimeters is now called the international foot.
Elsewhere on this page are entries for the Danish fod, Swedish fot, and German fuss. Other foot units include the French pied and the Italian and Spanish pie.

I don't know enough about the history of units, nor do I feel like perusing through thousands of definitions to see how the BWMA came of with their 24 British miles equals 25 Greek miles.  And if the British units are supposed to be based on human body proportions, how all of a sudden are they now based on the earth's dimensions, and to such accuracy, that they ancients got it right and the French wrong?

Steve,

Can I suggest that you forward your posting to Rowlett, at the email address below, and ask him for your help in validating the claims of the BWMA.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

John