Below is the response I received when I emailed "Project Bread" who has a "Walk for Hunger" every year in Boston. I asked why couldn't they switch to kilometres and do a 30 km walk instead of a 20 mi walk, and they would get more money for less distance. The URL is www.projectbread.org in case anyone wants to write.

__________________________________

Thank you for your continued interest and support of Project Bread - The Walk for Hunger .  As I mentioned in an email to you a few years ago, we currently plan to keep using miles instead of kilometers for the Walk for Hunger in the immediate future.  Since miles are the standard, we feel that more people will be familiar walking 20 miles instead of 30 kilometers.

The Walk for Hunger also has a very rich tradition.  For more than thirty years, the Walk for Hunger has been based on miles.  Changing that now would break us away from that tradition and would also upset a lot of our long-time Walkers.

We do appreciate your suggestions and continued support of Project Bread.

Sincerely,

Jay Welz

Slán,
John

Is é do mhac do mhac go bpósann sé ach is í d'iníon go bhfaighidh tú bás.
Your son is your son until he marries, but your daughter is your daughter until you die.

Do You Yahoo!?