From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Joseph B. Reid
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:59
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:18909] Re: Mega & Giga : Origins

Madan asked in USMA 18900;

>Anyone has an idea of the origins of the words like
>mega, giga, micro, nano, etc.
>
>I dont think the Romans used these terms in their
>days.

Quite right, the Romans certainly did not use these terms.

Deci, centi, milli, micro  nano, and pico come from Latin.  Femto and atto
come from Danish.  Deka, hecto, kilo, mega, giga, tera, and exa come from
Greek.  I have not been able to find the etymology of yotta, zetta, zepto,
and yocto

Joseph B.Reid
17 Glebe Road West
Toronto  M5P 1C8             TEL. 416-486-6071