I made a mistake and Duncan caought and corrected it. I feel compelled to
"grovel" and explain the error in detail below. You do not have to feel
compelled to read it. If you prefer not to, just stop now.

Bill

================================

I wrote, incorrectly, that:
>> Since 1 fl.oz. = 29.574 mL
>> one ounce is (1/29.574) of a millilitre.

That of course is incorrect. Instead, the fact
that 1 fl. oz. = 29.574 mL means that
1 mL is (1/29.574) of an ounce.

Because a fluid ounce equals 29.574 mL, the mass of a fluid ounce of mercury
is equal to the mass of 29.574 mL of mercury. Thus my next statement (below)
is also wrong.

>> Thus the mass of one fl.oz. of Hg
>> is 13.6 g / 29.574 which equals 0.460 g

It should be:
"Thus the mass of one fl.oz. of Hg is 29.574 mL TIMES 13.6 g, which equals
402.2 g", as Duncan correctly calculated.

My whole discussion was a bit silly to start with. To have to explain a
stupid error in something that was not important to start with is
mortifying!

My apologies.
Bill Hooper