By the time I took up bicycle racing (early fifties), just about all racing
bikes (including my own) had 27" wheels (or, at least, that's what they were
called). This may very well have been a hard-metric value (possibly either
68.5 cm or 69 cm). More likely, though, the rim diameter was a hard-metric
64 cm. The cross-sectional tire height, in my case, was 2.4 cm (advertised
as 15/16"), yielding an effective wheel diameter of 68.5 cm (allowing for an
approximate 1.5 mm depression in the concave surface of the sprint rim).

As an irrelevant but interesting aside, some of us also had the same number
of spokes for both wheels (36), rather than the usual 32 front and 40 rear.
As rims were sold in pairs, this allowed us to have two spare rims to
rebuild whichever wheel was damaged in an accident and still have a spare
that was good for either wheel. (This was more common in the rest of Europe
than it was in Britain.)

Bill Potts, CMS
Roseville, CA
http://metric1.org [SI Navigator]